Disclaimer

This blog is made of independent bloggers who made the review at their own will. This blog is intended as a community service to promote food business in Brunei. Reviews are done at own will of the blogger and intended to create a forum for consumers to give their feedback. If any restaurant is sub standard to the the public expectation, it is up to respective restaurant owners to rectify the situation and not the responsibility of the blogger. The intention is to ensure consumers get value for money and restaurant owners have feedback for improvement.

Friday, August 24, 2007

Solitude Cafe



I wonder how many people know that the Solitude bookstore (3rd floor) at The Mall has a nice little cosy cafe tucked behind all those shelfs of books? Not many I think. Only those who dares to venture into the shop which is walled-up with Islamic religious books will know.





The cafe has a nice modern deco and a wonderful view too of Gadong, Jame`Asr mosque and also a little bit of Kiulap. It is a pretty quiet place, even at lunch time. Recently I was there with Saz and Jd for a light lunch. Well I guess 'light' ain't the right word for it considering what I oredered. I had a heavy breakfast earlier in the morning, so I only ordered the Chocolate Fudge Cake with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. Overkill? Probably, but that's how I like'em. The cake was a little frozen (I guess I should've asked them to reheat it first?) but it was quite tasty and rich. It's not cheap, a little over B$5+, typical "cafe cake pricing". Oh, the ice cream you pay extra.





Saz had the Hot Pot Potato (or is that Potato Hot Pot?) which was kinda yummy. I guess its that cheesy topping that got me hooked and eventually helped her finished it. My petite little friend Saz also ordered the Corned Beef Toast Sandwich, which I really liked because the beef is just different, I'm guessing its home made. For drinks I had a mineral water (no freebie), Saz & JD had the Ice Lemon Tea.



Overall, we liked our food. My "i'm just gonna have a bit" plan didn't work as I ended up finishing most of what Saz ordered. Well Jd had some too, so it wasn't that bad hehe... The only thing I wasn't happy about was that when I asked for the password to their WiFi, I was told that I need to pay for it, $5 I think because its only for members! Now that's not nice right? I'm already sitting there, spending money on food and they still wanna charge me for WiFi? I was only planning to use a few minutes really. Its not like I'm just sitting there and having a glass of water right? I hope the management could ease-up on this and offer it complimentary once you order something form the menu.



Oh also, I think the waitresses need to be friendly and to speak-up a bit and know whats on the menu. It's not nice making the customer repeat their order a couple of times. So my first time there was just so so. I certainly will come and visit again though, and hopefully this time it will be a much more pleasant experience.

Here is another Solitude review by Ihsan, she reviewed it like over a year ago. Only found it after I posted this review.


4 comments:

Masta DBC or dbckun said...

was wondering about solitude. Next time I shall go there, and order some

By the way, is reading free? or you have to pay like wifi?

Brunei Foodies said...

its not like a library, so i think you might have to purchase the books first. for the wifi i think you need to sign up as a member.

Anonymous said...

actually, youre allowed to read any of the books for free. =)

Unknown said...

how free is free though? sit there for a few hours, finish a book while having coffee? or do you have to be a member so its "free" like how the wifi is provided.


The WYWY saga concludes - Public Poll

wywy2 wywy1

The respective press statements

More here.



Comments added via the 'Add my own option' by visitors to this blog;
- I only went to WyWy once and I think they are unreasonably over priced for a normal restaurant. Service sucked like hell. A little smile would have been better.
-I think they hv been victimised by someone who has some grudge against them!
-To close the matter for once and for all, we need another independent lab test to reconfirm.