Disclaimer

This blog is made of independent bloggers who made the review at their own will. This blog is intended as a community service to promote food business in Brunei. Reviews are done at own will of the blogger and intended to create a forum for consumers to give their feedback. If any restaurant is sub standard to the the public expectation, it is up to respective restaurant owners to rectify the situation and not the responsibility of the blogger. The intention is to ensure consumers get value for money and restaurant owners have feedback for improvement.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Kedai Kopi Chop Hup Hin, Sungai Liang

Jewelle's take on a Sungai Liang institution, Kedai Kopi Chop Hup Hin:

This shop is proof that with even without frills or fancy decor, as long as you have an efficient service, decent enough food, the customers will continue to flock in.

Chop Hup Hin : Just your basic, no frills coffee shop

This morning, we had breakfast at this open air Sg. Liang kopi tiam at the Seria-Bandar-Labi intersection. This shop, according to hubby has been around for decades and it is still doing brisk business. In fact, when we arrived, the spacious area in the front is full of cars and we got lucky that someone vacated their table just as we went in.

Full of cars

Food wise, they have the usual kopi tiam fare, fried noodles and kueh tiaw being their speciality. They supposedly have a similar style to the famous Seria mee so I guess that is why they are as popular. But then again, which Chinese kopi tiam is not popular if, as I said earlier, is fast and edible?

When we were there, the customers kept coming in and leaving, it was any shopkeeper's dream come true. I noticed that most of them men, simply sat at vacant chairs (with strangers), ate their noodles and leave. Of course, there are also the usual bunch of small-town contractors or retirees who sat in big group and basically gossiped and scrutinised every new customers.

The only thing I have against this place is that despite the "No Smoking" sign, nearly every table has someone puffing away. Thankfully the place was open air so the smoke was actually not noticeable.

I could see that this place is family run as the whole family seems to be on duty, from the old grandmother to the elderly son down to the children. Despite raking in probably thousands of dollars every day, the family still lives behind the coffee shop and from where I was sitting, I could even see the door to their living room.

I'm sure this is the kind of shop that will last on for many more years to go.

2 comments:

Brunei Foodies said...

Thank you for the review Jewelle. I have always wanted to stop by everytime I make my way to KB. One of these days I will, been getting lots of recommendation from my friends to go and try the fried noodles.

Jewelle said...

You should. It's nothing fancy but the food is good. And maybe you could try making a better review than mine. I was too scared to take more pictures...


The WYWY saga concludes - Public Poll

wywy2 wywy1

The respective press statements

More here.



Comments added via the 'Add my own option' by visitors to this blog;
- I only went to WyWy once and I think they are unreasonably over priced for a normal restaurant. Service sucked like hell. A little smile would have been better.
-I think they hv been victimised by someone who has some grudge against them!
-To close the matter for once and for all, we need another independent lab test to reconfirm.