Disclaimer

This blog is made of independent bloggers who made the review at their own will. This blog is intended as a community service to promote food business in Brunei. Reviews are done at own will of the blogger and intended to create a forum for consumers to give their feedback. If any restaurant is sub standard to the the public expectation, it is up to respective restaurant owners to rectify the situation and not the responsibility of the blogger. The intention is to ensure consumers get value for money and restaurant owners have feedback for improvement.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Seri Kamayan Restaurant

Kamayan is an interesting word in Tagalog. It can mean eat with hands, but it also means having fun as its more literal meaning is shaking hands or getting acquainted. I'm not sure if the current owners knew this before they took over Seri Kamayan Restaurant all those years ago. The Gadong branch was one of my favorite haunts pre-1997 and I suspect it was a favorite of many others as the place seemed to be always packed whenever I went.


I hadn't been to Seri Kamayan in years and last night da missus and I were invited to dinner at their remaining branch at Utama Bowling. The restaurant overlooks the bowling alley which means you can watch the bowlers in action while you eat :) The food we ordered was based on the recommendation of the friendly and helpful staff, and it did not disappoint! It was a bonza meal eaten in great company. What more could one ask for?


The first course was the fish maw soup. The seafood and sizeable chunks of lovely fish maw swirling in a delightful thick, tasty broth was sure to open up our appetites for what lay ahead.


Next up was the home-made tofu and pakchoy in oyster sauce. The home-made tofu was refreshingly different from the ones you buy at the supermarket both taste and texture-wise. It was stuffed with tasty morsels of seafood and chicken. The pakchoy was crisp and fresh. Lovely stuff. Me likey...


While we were enjoying the tofu, the Crystal Duck was served. This dish is not on the menu so you have to ask for it (I think ordering in advance is encouraged). I've never seen duck served this way before. I think the (cooked) duck meat was combined with prawn meat and fried in a batter. The end result is a crispy, tasty treat which when eaten, one can't help but to try and differentiate the flavor of the duck meat and the prawn meat... delightfully confusing!


Our last course was the steamed seabass thai-style. Again this was different from any I've had previously. The fresh seabass was infused with the flavours of the finely chopped garlic and salted vegetables and soy (or could it be fish) sauce. I loved the edge that the salted veg gave to the final flavour. It was quite spicy as well, so I think some fresh chili might have been used. Definitely a dish I'd order again! Nyaman kali ah!

We topped off the meal with a platter of fresh fruit. Overall a thoroughly satisfying meal, like I said, in great company. Two thumbs up! If you haven't tried Seri Kamayan out before, I fully recommend you go have meal there! Like me, you'll come back for sure!

Check out my other reviews:

No comments:


The WYWY saga concludes - Public Poll

wywy2 wywy1

The respective press statements

More here.



Comments added via the 'Add my own option' by visitors to this blog;
- I only went to WyWy once and I think they are unreasonably over priced for a normal restaurant. Service sucked like hell. A little smile would have been better.
-I think they hv been victimised by someone who has some grudge against them!
-To close the matter for once and for all, we need another independent lab test to reconfirm.