Disclaimer

This blog is made of independent bloggers who made the review at their own will. This blog is intended as a community service to promote food business in Brunei. Reviews are done at own will of the blogger and intended to create a forum for consumers to give their feedback. If any restaurant is sub standard to the the public expectation, it is up to respective restaurant owners to rectify the situation and not the responsibility of the blogger. The intention is to ensure consumers get value for money and restaurant owners have feedback for improvement.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Other Office

It was my first time being there. It was the second time for my friend. So we were relatively new to the place. On first impression, it felt somewhat odd to me that some restaurant would have that kinda deco. I would've played it to the name, make it office like, filling cabinets at the corner, seats divided into cubicles and so on. But then again some might not want to go there because it'll remind them of their office hehe...

Anyway, the menu I would say is visually boring, too much to read. I like pictures, its more appealing and gives a better representation of the food you serve. After going though the menu from cover to cover for about 5 mins, I decided on the Nasi Ayam Special while my friend ordered a muffin (couldn't recall which one it was).

They had a high-tea set which cost about $12+ and has loads dishes that comes with it, from starters to desserts. I was hungry but not that hungry. The deal looks pretty good though, maybe next time. As we waited for our order, we saw the guy next to our table having his Roti Kawin with two half-boiled eggs, which made me regret my order abit. My friend's muffin came first, not sure what it was but she said it tasted like lumps of flour in colorings. It gives that sticky feeling in your mouth kinda thing, not the soft almost melts in-your-mouth one. For $3 it was sure ain't worth it, I think I'll stick to hers when it comes to muffins. Not happy with the muffin, my friend ordered the Mee Rebus.

My food finally came after about 10mins or so. And I must say I was pretty surprised on how big the portions were. Generous but somehow it kinda crushed my expectations of what a chicken rice meal is, which usually either come with roasted or steamed chicken. Well at The Other Office its been deep fried, as you can see from the photo below. You also get a Rendang chicken on your main plate. So altogether you get four piece of chicken. See this where the picture of the food item on the menu would help, at least the customer won't be surprised. Anyway, despite the big serving, the problem I had was that I don't like the meaty part of the chicken i.e. breast part and also the chicken doesn't look/taste fresh too. I didn't finish my meal, I had two more of the fried ones untouched. I'm giving this $7+ meal a 5/10.


As for my friend's Mee Rebus, she said it's spicy but a little bit bland. I had a taste of it and I have to agree. I have tasted better at the Kianggeh stalls in town. So it was kind of a disappointing meal although it does look good.


All the while we were there, I felt like we were being monitored. My friend joked that maybe they have my picture in the kitchen with a big warning, "watch out for this food blogger!" hahaha. And I guess me snapping away at the food made it obvious too. I thought at one point they were gonna tell me to stop taking pictures like one of the quite well known restaurant in Jalan Tutong.

So will I go there again? Yes I will. I'm a strong believer in second chances, plus I like to try some other dishes on their menu. And hopefully the next time around it won't be as disappointing as this one was.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is this restaurant anyway? I'd like to try it...

Brunei Foodies said...

Its the other end of that building in Serusop where HSBC is. I think the location is also a setback, quite hidden.

Kansas Travel said...

yeah, where it is?? i also wanna try the food coz it looks really delicious


The WYWY saga concludes - Public Poll

wywy2 wywy1

The respective press statements

More here.



Comments added via the 'Add my own option' by visitors to this blog;
- I only went to WyWy once and I think they are unreasonably over priced for a normal restaurant. Service sucked like hell. A little smile would have been better.
-I think they hv been victimised by someone who has some grudge against them!
-To close the matter for once and for all, we need another independent lab test to reconfirm.