Disclaimer

This blog is made of independent bloggers who made the review at their own will. This blog is intended as a community service to promote food business in Brunei. Reviews are done at own will of the blogger and intended to create a forum for consumers to give their feedback. If any restaurant is sub standard to the the public expectation, it is up to respective restaurant owners to rectify the situation and not the responsibility of the blogger. The intention is to ensure consumers get value for money and restaurant owners have feedback for improvement.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Fusion Restaurant

Tried Fusion at The Mall (located at Kura). Here’s my review…

Place : Décor and ambience reminds me of an indon restaurant kind of thing. Serving staff all in uniforms – waistcoats and kebayas. Not immediately attractive.

Service : Plates and glasses were sort of thumped on the table. Busboys were attentive though. Orders did get mixed up. We were a party of 10.

Menu : Wide range of choices under category of noodles & pasta, seafood & choice cuts. No vegetarian. All dishes accompanied with an explanation of what’s in it and a picture. Pictures were pretty flash so it gets you very excited about ordering. Beverage choices not so fantastic but then I’m the type who just opts for water cos I don’t like fizzy drinks, coffee or mocktails. I wouldn’t exactly say it was very “fusion”. Prices were tempting cos everything seemed reasonably priced.

Food : Nice presentation with nice chinaware. Seafood not fresh. I am very fussy about fishy smells and this was definitely fishy. Thank goodness I didn’t order the fish on its own. I had the seafood mix (fish slices, prawn, calamari & mussels) with rice. Rice was a bit mushy. Seafood was strangely marinated with a herb. I think it was thyme or fennel. Didn’t go very well but provided some flavour. Since the seafood was not at all fresh, I had to ask for chilli padi and soy sauce for cover up. There was not enough seafood portion to accompany the rice so I did not get to finish my rice. So I ended up still a bit hungry and not at all satiated. Generally, portions were small. Not very filling – but then I’m a big eater.

Dessert : No choices on the menu. You will have to check out the cake counter which had pretty looking tiramisu, oreo cheesecake, cherry cheesecake, cappuccino cheesecake and blueberry cheesecake. I tried a bite of each. Not worth the calories. I definitely make better tiramisu than what they were serving. Skip altogether - unless you don't know how real tiramisu should vaguely taste like and you can't be bothered.

Conclusion : Not going back no matter what. Not worth looking for parking and taking a gamble on which dish might turn out right.

This post is written by a friend of mine who went to the restaurant last month with her friends. If the owners are reading this, I hope you will accept this as constructive feedback and really look seriously into the source/storage of your ingredients. I can't think of anything worse than dubious ingredients - especially seafood - not only off-putting but downright dangerous. People do notice immediately and most will not tell you but just go away, tell their friends and never come back again.

And I have noticed in some restaurants, when you comment negatively on their food (even in the nicest possible way) to their service staff, they will look bewildered, bothered and give you that 'why are you telling me, I didn't cook it' look. It's really sad. So restaurant owners, if you're reading this, train your staff well, they are not there just to present the menu, take orders and serve. They are actually your restaurant ambassadors who play a very important part in a diner's experience in your establishment.

There are a few places I would not return to after just one awful experience with their food and service, and with the choice of restaurants we have in Brunei nowadays, you cannot afford to have anybody leaving your restaurant unhappy, dissatisfied and upset with their encounter.

Posted by Eleanor

No comments:


The WYWY saga concludes - Public Poll

wywy2 wywy1

The respective press statements

More here.



Comments added via the 'Add my own option' by visitors to this blog;
- I only went to WyWy once and I think they are unreasonably over priced for a normal restaurant. Service sucked like hell. A little smile would have been better.
-I think they hv been victimised by someone who has some grudge against them!
-To close the matter for once and for all, we need another independent lab test to reconfirm.