Disclaimer

This blog is made of independent bloggers who made the review at their own will. This blog is intended as a community service to promote food business in Brunei. Reviews are done at own will of the blogger and intended to create a forum for consumers to give their feedback. If any restaurant is sub standard to the the public expectation, it is up to respective restaurant owners to rectify the situation and not the responsibility of the blogger. The intention is to ensure consumers get value for money and restaurant owners have feedback for improvement.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Fusion Restaurant, The Mall, Gadong.

Apparently, a new restaurant opened up in the Mall, taking over the spot that used to belonged to KURA. It's called Fusion and I am always a fan of fusion cuisine, where east meets west, the global cuisine where you mix different styles and ingredients from different genres of cooking. Needless to say, I was interested and decided to have a try.

The initial impression was good for their furniture and outlook. Furtheremore, got promotion - 30% discount. When I received their menu, I was appalled. Poorly designed, no description for each food and the pictures were scattered around. I had to ask the waiter what picture is which and what is actually the food I am ordering. One pasta dish's name was the God Father but when I asked the waiter what type of pasta it was, his reply was - it's pasta sir. My god, does he think I am an idiot? I asked him what kind of sauce it is and he can't even answer.

I decided to order Truffle chicken and my friend ordered the beef straganoff pasta. My other friend ordered the cherry cheesecake. The beef straganoff pasta was normal - nothing special, I would had rathered eat all I can at Capers, to be honest. The cheesecake was well .... to be honest .... disappointing, I would be ultra disappointed if there wasn't a 30% discount.

Now the chicken meat , it was UNDERCOOKED! IT HAD PINK BITS! My gosh! Their excuse was, it's grilled chicken, so it has pink bits. My gosh. Frankly, my dear readers, I am appalled and decided to ask the food to be sent back to the kitchen - I had already eaten part of it anyway and had to pay the bloody $7 for possible food poisoning.

Quote: From Good Medicine

"And you don’t want to eat chicken undercooked. At retail stores, salmonella and campylobacter are commonly found on chicken products. These live bacteria easily transfer to cooking surfaces, utensils, and hands and can cause a serious intestinal illness."

Frankly, the foods average and gives the WRONG impression on fusion cuisine. I don't see any FUSION at all. As my friend Wan says, it's more CONFUSION than fusion, since they first got our orders wrong, then our bill came and it was very wrong - from $25 increase till $48. So big difference meh?

My other friend Sasha thought their motto : East Meets West was pathetic. It should had been East Meets Ass. I would honestly not eat at this restaurant again.

Verdict: Avoid it. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

Advice to restaurant: Change your menu design, train your staff about the food, menu needs to actually be FUSION cuisine as I don't see only western cuisines in the restaurant, staff needs to be more professional when dealing with ordering and billing. Chef needs something up his arse as well for serving undercooked grilled chicken and then claimed grilled chicken has pink undercooked bits as normal.

Note: I didn't take any photos as I did not bring my camera with me, but thank god I didn't, would had been a waste of battery energy.

Unedited review by Thanis

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm Fusion was in my list, but after reading this, I gave a 2nd thought. Unless someone wants to sponsor me and take some photos, but I won't eat hah... I got that tickly sensation up my throat imagining that undercooked chicken.

Hungryduo said...

wah.. really that bad?
Hmm.. gotta discuss with Hubby if we should take risk and try out this restaurant or not haha.. i kinda wanna noe how bad the restaurant is keke *grins*

- Hunnie

Thanis Lim said...

You can go and try la - who knows they might improve their service? It was their first day but as with previous experiences - such as Sushi Tei, if they don't plan well enough in the first day, they won't survive in this industry.

Hungryduo said...

true true!
i got so disappointed with my 1st visit to Sushi Tei and after soooo many months baru i returned to the restaurant (cause i heard they have cheap bento set lunch keke) and i feel they improved lor..

Maybe i should try Fusion later after reading more reviews ler.. don't want to burn a hole in my pocket keke

- Hunnie

Chef Pol said...

It's a serious offence to serve undercooked chicken. Don't they learn well from bird flu?

You can eat rare or medium rare meat (beef) but not Poultry!!!

So sayang, obviously the chefs knows some french dishes but seriously the boss needs to survey more. Bruneians lack food knowledge. we need to educated our people rather than having french or italian words and some odd food title!.
To me truffle chicken i ordered was overcooked and it's not even Truffle. It's ok, I'll give them the benefit of a doubt.

Seriously, u never serve raw chicken unless u want to kill someone.

I'll come again once they have improve.

Anonymous said...

Had lunch there juz now n d food wuz not bad at all, it wuz our 1st time there for me n my workmates n we all thought d food wuz good and well prepared, service is nice, place is comfy n price after 30% is reasonable (so keep d 30% forever pls *hehe*) overall I give it around 7.5/10 but then again I'm not pro at this, juz based on personal experience n keep in mind this is only my 1st time going there but I dun mind going there again :) Cheers~

Anonymous said...

i didnt like it there either. Had salmon and it tasted so bad, i cant put my finger on what was wrong with it exactly but it tasted sort of old. i would comment more but then I dont remember much about the food, i only remember that i was disappointed, glad that there was a 30% discount (so i wouldnt have to pay so much for ****) and that im never going there again, once is enough :)

Muaz Al Rashid said...

went to Fusion just yesterday, the menu is different from the one you have described, no scattered photos.. the photos are managed properly and numbered according to the list of food.. so we know how our food'll look like... and i ordered steaks and my friend ordered the lambchop - i think it was lambchop, and it was good apparently.. and we went there again today for lunch.. and uh.. apparently only the cuts were good.. don't bother ordering anything.. I had Henry IV, chicken.. it was alright but somewhat tasteless... my friend had the Jasmine Fried Rice, it had an option (dont remember what they were) but the waiter didn't even bother asking what my friend would like to have it with, and he barely ate half of it... enough said...


The WYWY saga concludes - Public Poll

wywy2 wywy1

The respective press statements

More here.



Comments added via the 'Add my own option' by visitors to this blog;
- I only went to WyWy once and I think they are unreasonably over priced for a normal restaurant. Service sucked like hell. A little smile would have been better.
-I think they hv been victimised by someone who has some grudge against them!
-To close the matter for once and for all, we need another independent lab test to reconfirm.